Monday, July 7, 2008

prepare to be amazed . . .

. . . by my ridiculousness.


I've been avoiding updating the blog because I just cannot sum up my trip to Georgia in a concise manner. Forget concise. On with the blathering!

Turn (WHBC's day camp event) was awesome. The Terrific Team drama was great - the kids love the superhero aspect of it all. Super cool pyrotechnic special effects don't hurt either. It grabs their attention long enough to really convey a message to them. And I LOVED the message this year - Truth is eternal and unchanging. Our society seems bent on destroying any sense of absolute black & white, right & wrong and is all about embracing any shade of gray that feels right to you. Whatever!

I think we improved upon last year's stage games a bit. We learn a little more about what works and what doesn't each year, improving along the way. Slime clean-up went much more smoothly than last year since we wised up & made people stand in a baby pool before pulling the lever. All week right before crazy stage games, Kevin and I had a little schtick going where I was searching for my super power so I could join the Terrific Team. First I tried flying, then reading minds, then I was the Twisted Sister who could spin super-fast, then I tried out super strength & finally telekinesis. Unfortunately none of them really so much worked out for me, so the Terrific Team is going to have to soldier on without me. Sigh.




The rest of the GA trip was really good. You know, they say you can never go home again --that things & people always change and it's never the same again. Well, I'm sure that turns out to be true, eventually. But we've only been gone 9 months. Our trip was so much like just being back at home. I got to hang out with lots of our friends & it was almost like I never left. Conversations were easy and just sort of like we picked up right where we left off. It was good. Really good. I miss it already.


I went to our house in GA - we're renting it out since our stay here in UT may or may not be temporary. It's funny walking into your house and seeing other peoples' stuff there. The couple renting the place is European, so it looks a little like Ikea exploded in my house. Everything seems good there, except for one minor detail. The tenants aren't supposed to have pets because I am allergic to just about everything. But they have pets. Not a cat, not a dog, not a bird or a fish or a hamster. No, they have 2 indoor rabbits. Really? Rabbits?? Indoors??? Why?!?!! They even have put a little chicken wire fence up in the backyard so the rabbits can go out & play. Totally odd. I'm not really sure what we'll be doing about that. I'm not really keen on kicking them out or on making them mad by insisting they get rid of the rabbits. I really don't want my house trashed by disgruntled tenants. Hello rock. Hello hard place. I'll just hang our right here in between you two for a bit.


One of the days we were there we went swimming our community pool with some friends from the neighborhood. We walked in and found a teenage beer party in progress. Yes, right out there at the *community* pool. How stupid. They didn't even have the sense to try and hide it or stop drinking when the old farts with the little kids arrived. I totally called the police on them. Hilarity ensued as the kids tried to hide the beer and lie to the police. In the end, two of the kids owned up to drinking the beer. One kid's parents came to get him. Imagine having to tell your boss you had to leave work early because the police had your kid. The second kid's parents either couldn't or wouldn't come get him, so he went to the station. As I discussed with my friends - I know I did not always walk the straight and narrow as a teenager. I did, however, have the good sense to sneak around. Good googly moogly.

Speaking of good googly moogly. During our 3 hour layover in Houston Tuesday night, Thomas had to go the the bathroom. Apparently he was constipated. And determined. He ended up straining so hard that he broke blood vessels all over his face & neck. So he looks a little Opie Taylor-esque right now with his paetichea. Niiice.


So Thomas's birthday is Thursday. I am struggling with what we should get the child. Seriously struggling. I know I can always buy him legos & he'll be happy. But how many legos does a kid need? (Don't answer that Kevin.) How many toys, period. We try really hard not to spoil him with stuff. I guess we'd rather spoil him with experiences. I'm thinking we might do a trip to San Diego and do Legoland, Sea World, etc. That's been on the list of stuff to do for awhile now. Just a matter of working it into the schedule. Here's how a kid ends up spoiled anyway -- I hate the thought of him having nothing to open on his birthday, so we'll probably buy him some nintendo game or legos or something *and* do the trip, too.

1 comment:

Misslisslee said...

Love the pictures! That is some real fearlessness right there, and it sounded like you had a blast. I hope your boy had a wonderful birthday - can he have cake?