Saturday, May 3, 2008

sub-cultures

So I was up for a few hours in the middle of the night. We've been blessed with a kid who doesn't normally have sleep issues, so I shouldn't really complain. Last night was no fun though. It started around 1 am. I heard whining through the monitor. (We still use a monitor because Thomas is tube fed overnight & we need to hear if there are any problems.) So I went in to check on him. It went a little something like this:

me: What's wrong?
T: I want my blanket.
me: So get it from the floor.
T (whining): But there's a shadow on the wall.
me (laughing):There's nothing in here to be afraid of.
T cries
me: Why are you crying?
T: You laughed at me.

So at this point I felt pretty low & much apologizing & comforting ensued. After T was settled back in I went back to bed. I was almost asleep when the whining began again. This time it was a stomach ache. After a trip to the bathroom, a drink of water & instructions about not getting out of bed too early in the morning, T was settled back in.

I went back to bed but could not get back to sleep very easily. My mind wandered to weird places. Among them . . . the similarities between the FLDS and the Travellers (i.e. Irish Gypsies). This probably won't interest anyone beyond Seanna & Sheila, feel free to tune out now.
  • clannish to the point of inbreeding - check
  • child brides - check
  • distrust of higher formal education/ state schools - check
  • settlement on a state line - check (easier to escape state-level authorities??)
  • mode of dress/hairstyle that distinguishes them from outsiders - check
  • use of fraudulent means to sustain their lifestyle - check Travellers will swindle anyone they can. FLDS "bleed the beast" through use of welfare programs.
  • distrust of outsiders - check They both have a reputation for following outsiders who enter their enclave & running them off. Sheila, remember our little jaunt around Murphy's Village in the Caddy?? Ah, good times.

Totally weird where the mind wanders sometimes. Not sure why I wanted to post that other than I thought Sheila & Seanna might appreciate it.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

But, I don't know which one I'd chose as neighbors. Probably to FLDS beacuse they wouldn't be that interested in my kids. (They don't need too many men around.)
And they would kind of keep to themselves. I can't see a posse of FLDS folks decending on my local Red Lobster.

But I'd be more scared of them. They tend to wave guns around when they feel threatened. My gypsies don't do theat.

See I can match you in odd thoughts.
We've been having bed visitors all week. It's been an epidemic od nightmares and "strange dreams."

Anonymous said...

Oh I appreciated it. Oh, yes I did. I got into a spat with a Traveller on the City-Data forum a couple months ago but then I realized it was silly to interact with her. She Typed Everything Like This And Was Trying To Convince Everyone That Not All Travellers Were Up To No Good. Bah whatever. (Hi, Sheila!)