Tuesday, February 24, 2009

lazy days

So much of the time it seems our family is dashing from one place to another. Not day-to-day, my-kid's-life-is-overscheduled-school-karate-Monday-scouts-Tuesday-church-Wednesday dashing. We don't do that. Thomas had been activity-less for a long time before we joined Cub Scouts. I'm talking about our constant traveling. We've been staying put since New Year (except for my grandmother's funeral and that was just a few days and just me and I don't think it counts, right?) and I like it. I mentioned this to Mike's mother when they were here Valentine's weekend. Mike gave me a look. So I asked him about the look. It meant he was going stir-crazy and is getting the travel bug. Like a friend said, I think he's part Gypsy.

So we've really just been hanging here at home. So nice. I've been pretty much staying caught up with the laundry and the housework. There are no suitcases in various stages of packing and unpacking littering my bedroom. Things are downright calm. So calm and mundane that I'm not finding much to blog about. Nothing seems really *noteworthy* so the blog had gone without much updating. Sorry folks. I can tell you the mundane things we've been up to. Hold on to your seats, kids . . . ;)

Cub Scouting is going along swimmingly, despite what appeared to be a rather unorganized and haphazard first few den meetings. I think the poor lady running the den is just overwhelmed. I've offered to help, but she's not taking me up on it. Oh well, we'll just truck along and do our thing. Thomas finished his Bobcat stuff and one Wolf requirement after the first week. He finished 2 more Wolf requirements the next week. This week we'll turn in 3 more requirements. Sadly, I think that puts him ahead of a few of the boys in our den.

We went to our first pack meeting last Wednesday (an aside . . . WHY WEDNESDAY?!? Do these people not know LOST is on?? Seriously, it's the only show I really care about on TV.) which happened to be the Blue and Gold Banquet. They asked Mike to be the Cubmaster. Did I mention that it was our FIRST pack meeting?? The guy who is doing it now has been for the past 3 years, I guess and is ready to not be Cubmaster anymore. And they know that Mike is an Eagle Scout. I guess that's all they need to know?? Now, we did mention when we signed Thomas up that we'd be happy to help and asked for adult applications. "Help" and run the whole show seem to be two different things to me, but we'll see.

Speaking of LOST . . . DANG! It is sooooo good this season. I'm geeking out over it every week. Just about every Thursday I'm ending up spending the morning over at The Fuselage reading what the other geeks are thinking and theorizing. Then my pal Toni and I hole up in a corner at park day on Fridays and talk about it. BEST. SHOW. EVER.

We've been making it to the library regularly again. Regularly enough that we're not paying fines every time we check things out now. I've been having time to read again. So nice. Mike's sister, her husband and I are doing an A-Z challenge over on Goodreads . We're supposed to read books from authors with names beginning with every letter of the alphabet. The group is open to anyone, so if you're a reader and want to participate, you can find me on Goodreads and join in. Right now I'm reading A Prayer for Owen Meany. That would be my 'I' selection. So far, so good. Except that it was seeming really, really familiar to me, yet I knew I hadn't read it. Wikipedia to the rescue. Turns out the movie Simon Burch was loosely based on the first part of the novel. Weird. Why only the first part?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the a-z idea.

Sheila said...

That's too funny about Mike being Cubmaster. I just took on that job for our pack. I think the job is different for men than women. Male Cubmasters get to sit back and just let things get taken care of. (At least that is what our last cubmaster did. I know I never contacted him.)

Since I've taken over the job, everyone feels the need to call and email me to let me know about every tiny detail. It's fun though.