Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving prep

The turkey and all the ingredients are purchased. Well, except the fresh thyme. I really don't feel like running from store to store trying to find it either. I might put my mother-in-law on the case or I might just *gasp* use dried.

Thomas's room is almost company ready. That was yesterday's major task. It turned into a major, desperately needed declutter session. I have finally convinced him to give away his Rescue Heroes. I've been trying for about a year, I think. We put lots of books up to save for any future grandkids, I guess. We put lots of books in a box for Grandma to go through for Miriam. We have another huge give-away box going. Oh, and 2 bags of trash. Geesh! Tomorrow I'll launder all his linens so that Mike's aunt & her husband can sleep there. Thomas will move to an air mattress in our room. I won't have time to do that on Thursday so Thomas will just have to spend an extra night in our room so they can have clean linens.

Today I'll finish picking up around the house and start the meal prep. I can't do too much until we get the turkey in the brine tomorrow and free up some fridge space. But I need to bust out what I can today so that tomorrow and Thursday aren't so bad. I like cooking. I even like cooking big meals. I just hate the cleaning up. And since company is coming, I'll have to clean before it's even all really finished. 1 meal, probably 3 times the kitchen will have to be tackled. Yeehaw!

On the menu:
brie, pecans & cranberries (that was yummy, Kamas!)
Good Eats brined turkey
dressing from my mom's recipe
mother-in-law's homemade noodles
the Pioneer Woman's mashed potatoes (chosen for their make-ahead and reheat-ability)
the Pioneer Woman's whiskey glazed carrots (because they sound yummy!)
green beans
pickled beets
olive & pickle tray because my family always had one
bread from the breadmaker because I can set it up out on the patio & not take up oven space
cranberry sauce
pecan pie
pumpkin pie
chocolate pie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the breadmaker on the patio idea. Your menu sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Yum! I'm drooling. . .

Unknown said...

wish I had been there!