Tuesday, December 1, 2009

update to anesthesia issue

Today I got a call from the patient advocate at Cincinnati Children's who worked Thomas's case. I originally heard from him right after I sent the original e-mail (you can read it here -- http://hoosierinthehive.blogspot.com/2009/11/long-time-no-blog.html) just saying that I had given them all the information they needed and he would get a response back to me as soon as possible. It took longer than I expected, but the results were better than I expected.

I was told that the details of Thomas's experience went all the way up to the Director of Anesthesiology as well as the Director of Residency. The individual resident and anesthesiologist were spoken to about the incident and Thomas's case will be used as an example in their teaching of what *not* to do.

That's all we ever hoped for -- to avoid something similar happening to another kid.

4 comments:

skuchi said...

Holy cow! This is the first I've heard of the anesthesia problem. Somehow between park day, facebook & everything else I still missed ALL of this! What an awful situation. Who asks an 8year old to make medical decisions? You had every right to be upset. And I think you handled it spectacularly. Glad the hospital took it seriously and appropriately- it should not have happened.

Joey said...

I'm glad to hear they at least followed through and yes hopefully it will be a good learning experience for everyone.

Christine said...

I'm glad they took it all serious. I just read the story and OMG I can't believe they asked him, without your knowledge, what he wanted. It makes me feel sad that he had to go through all that.

L. Bradford said...

Congrats!! You are not only an advocate for Thomas but for many, MANY other children & their families! You reacted and responded so responsibly!!! Keep smiling this is awesome! What a difference you just made. I am sorry to hear that this happened - I am glad something good can come of it.
Keep blogging!!!!
I'm getting lots of reading done at my kiddos swim lessons, yet find I'm so lonely!
Miss you, Lisa.