Saturday, July 18, 2009

Pinching my Pennies




I've been working some really good deals at Albertson's lately and have been doing more and more printable coupons online. Learned a lot from my pals Joey & Lisa and the site pinching your pennies on how to score the best deals. This meant I was outgrowing my good ol' cancelled check file for coupons. So I decided to make a coupon binder. After looking at a few tutorials I went with a 5 star zippered binder with a zippered pencil case (to hold a calculator, pens, scissors) and a few extra pockets in various places to hold unclipped, unfiled coupons, ads, etc. Then I added 8 tabbed dividers that each have a slash pocket in the front. So each divider can do double duty to hold store coupons, etc. My sections are:
  • frozen (Albertson's in the slash pocket)
  • snack foods (Target in the slash pocket)
  • beverages/condiments/pb&j (misc. in the slash pocket)
  • boxed/canned (more misc. in the slash pocket)
  • baking/cereal/granola (nothing yet for this pocket)
  • meat/dairy/produce/bread (misc. store coupons in the pocket)
  • paper/cleansers (rebates in the pocket)
  • perconal care (restaurant coupons in this pocket)

Within each section I added pages that each hold 3 4x6 photos to hold the coupons. I took some blue painter's tape and a sharpie to label the pockets. So for instance in the personal care section there are pockets for the following:

  • razors/shave gel
  • deodorant
  • oral care
  • soap
  • shampoo/conditioner
  • styling products
  • feminine hygiene
  • cosmetics
  • skin care
  • lotion
  • OTC meds
  • first aid supplies
  • sunscreen

You get the idea. I also started using the old canceled check file to save my receipts. Sometimes a good rebate will come along that I already qualify for if I could just find the receipt. This should solve that problem. I've been saving tons and getting sweet deals. I need to lay of the cereal deals for awhile, though. I think I have probably 10 boxes stockpiled. And I am the only one in the house who really eats cereal!

I remember some friends' moms growing up who did the couponing and rebating thing seriously. My mom never did. So at least I'm not turning into my mother yet, right?

1 comment:

skuchi said...

I'm in awe of the binder.